Put your glasses on, nothing will be wrong! On this episode of the Third Impact Anime Podcast, we’re reviewing the classic dark-fantasy anime series BERSERK, specifically the original 1997 adaptation by OLM covering the Golden Age Arc of the late Kentaro Miura’s classic manga. Tobias, Austin, and Ryan are joined by frequent buddy and BERSERK super-fan, Will a.k.a. SwooshXBear, to talk about this incredibly influential and important series that we’ve never really talked about on the podcast before! Spoilers for the whole arc abound and do be aware that our conversation covers themes of violence, specifically sexual violence. Our convo is not crass but these themes do come up so listener discretion is advised.
00:20:08 Cast and Production
02:18:26 Final Thoughts
All music featured in the episode is from the BERSERK soundtrack.
Sources and additional links:
- BERSERK (1997) | Anime News Network Encyclopedia
- Nippon TV deal with Netflix (BERSERK not included for N. America)
- Compilation of Interviews with Kentaro Miura
- Fate/Zero episode mentioned
- Will’s YouTube channel
- Berserk ‘97 dub outtakes
- Miura discusses “current” production of Berserk: hiatus partially due to switching from traditional to digital around 2015, as well as side project Duranki (article from October 1, 2019) (https://natalie.mu/comic/pp/younganimalzero/)
- What’s the deal with Berserk and Idolmaster? TL;DR in an author interview in Young Animal, Mori mentioned talking to Miura about the newest Idolmaster game at the time, in the same issue a hiatus for Berserk was announced, and another website ran a story about Miura putting Berserk on hold *because* of Idolmaster. Since then it’s become a meme since Berserk mans are starved of content and are silly baka (https://www.skullknight.net/forum/index.php?threads/miura-lost-to-idolmaster.10065/#post-165995) This link has spoilers for Berserk as of 2009 manga content!!!
- Mike Toole’s 2003 review of the ‘97 anime (https://web.archive.org/web/20060510020056/http://www.animejump.com/index.php?module=prodreviews&func=showcontent&id=293)
- Zac Bertschy review for Berserk, very short, 2001 (https://web.archive.org/web/20010625233156/http://www.scifi.com/anime/anime.cgi?25077)
- Zac Bertschy review for Berserk for the DVD release, 2003 (https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/berserk/dvd-5)
What did you think of BERSERK? What’s your favorite piece of media that has been inspired by it? Let us know by sending us an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll answer it on the show!
If you like what you hear, please consider leaving us a Rating, Review, or Comment on whatever podcast service you use, and don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Instagram for the latest updates!
Connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/TI_Anime
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | YouTube | Stitcher | Podbean