Would you believe that this episode was recorded AN ENTIRE YEAR AGO?! Because of production schedules, editing issues, school, work, an international pandemic, and generalize malaise, it took us forever to release this. Fear not true believer, the tales of Otaku Unite! are timeless. Actually, no, that’s a lie.
Join us in our second Otaku-mentaries episode covering the 2004 anime and fandom documentary, Otaku Unite! (listen to our first episode on Akihabara Geeks here). Otaku Unite! is a bizarre spectacle of half insightful anime history and half inexplicable sideshows. How little has changed in the anime community in 17 years! Listen to Sully, Austin, Bill, and Tobias guide you through this magic mirror into the anime community of the early 2000s.
Also, as we do, we use this documentary as a springboard to talk about anime fandom issues in the present. Enjoy!
- Barefoot in the Park by Shiro Sagisu from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Otaku Unite! Original Soundtrack
- Carameldansen by Caramell
- Nadia’s Theme by Shiro Sagisu from Nadia: The Secret of Blue Water
- My Will by Dream from Inuyasha
- Want It All Back by Yoko Kanno from Cowboy Bebop
- Just Another Day by Takanori Arasiwa from Sailor Moon
- NERV by Shiro Sagisu from Neon Genesis Evangelion
- Watch Otaku Unite! on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CM8eal6rEI&ab_channel=FreeAnimeHQ
- Eric Bressler’s website: http://ericbresler.com/
- Dave Merrill responding to Austin’s Twitter questions (with important Johnny Otaku info!) from 2018: https://twitter.com/bebopshock/status/1017835088590098433
- Bamboo Dong’s 2004 review on Anime News Network: https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/otaku-unite
- Otaku Unite! on IMDb: https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0374933/?ref_=nm_knf_t2
Connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/TI_Anime
Subscribe on Apple Podcasts | Google Podcasts | YouTube | Stitcher | Podbean