The first installment of our special interview series revolving around the newly released essay collection on Leji Matsutmoto, co-edited by past guest Helen McCarthy.
In this episode, Sully sits down with animation and comic book artist Tim Eldred and anime and cosplay scholar Ed Hoff to discuss their contributions to the book, the lasting influence of Matsumoto’s work on anime and manga fandom, and where they see Matsumoto’s legacy in the future.
Look out for more interviews surrounding the essay collection very soon!
You can find Tim Eldred on Twitter, CosmoDNA, and on his personal website.
You can find Ed Hoff over on his personal website and via the World Cosplay Summit
- 00:00:00 – Intro to Tim and Ed!
- 00:02:48 – How did they get into Matsumoto’s work and tribute to Amy Howard Wilson (English voice of Nova in Star Blazers)
- 00:15:46 – How did Tim approach writing his book chapter
- 00:30:43 – How did Ed approach writing his book chapter
- 00:51:00 – Where do you think Matsumoto’s legacy is going in the present/future?
- 01:30:23 – Closing plugs and goodbyes (for now)
- “Space Battleship Yamato 2199 Opening” – Space Battleship Yamato 2199
- “Arcadia, Gou Hasshin!” – Captain Harlock: Arcadia of My Youth
- “To the Life Long Object of the Universe” – Galaxy Express 999
- “The Universe Spreading to Infinity” – Space Battleship Yamato/Star Blazers
Please enjoy the episode! If you’d like to help out the show, please leave us a Comment and Rate/Review us on Apple Podcasts or Stitcher!
Connect with us on Twitter at twitter.com/TI_Anime